The holiday season is one of our favorite times to catch new movies. Escape from the cold weather, grab a bucket of warm, buttery popcorn, and enjoy the thrill of a new film! Whether you’re looking to spend one of your holiday break days seeing a movie with the family or want to celebrate a weeknight with your friends, we’ve rounded up the top movie releases for November and December!
- Based on the novel by James Baldwin, If Beale Street Could Talk follows the story of an African-American woman who wants to clear the name of her wrongly convicted fiance and prove that he is innocent before the birth of their first child. In one of the most emotional trailers we've seen in a long time, actress Regina King’s character is heard saying, “Love is what brought you here and if you trusted love this far, don’t panic now,” and if that doesn’t make you feel all sappy inside, we don’t know what will. This romantic drama is perfect for a date night at the theater with your loved one and it makes its theatrical debut on November 20, 2018.
- Disney is recreating a Christmas classic with The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. Starring Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and more, this film is sure to ruffle up some fond memories of your favorite childhood nutcracker tale while adding a whimsical twist. Catch it in theaters on November 2, 2018.
- November 16th marks the release of a sequel to the 2016 film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald screenplay is created by J.K. Rowling as another expansion into the world of Harry Potter. The story follows characters Newt Scamander and Albus Dumbledore as they try to destroy the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald. If you and your partner are fans of fantastical stories, you won’t want to miss this one.
- You know the tale. He robs from the rich to help the poor in Nottingham Forest! The classic hero Robin Hood is back with modern faces in this timely take on a well-known story. The film stars Taron Egerton, Jamie Foxx, and Ben Mendelsohn, and the action sequences and costumes shown in the trailer make it look like steam-punk fantasy just met the Matrix. This movie is brimming with action packed sequences perfect for fans of thrilling movies. You can watch it in theaters on November 21, 2018.
- DC Comics fans, rejoice! Aquaman splashes into theaters December 21, 2018, with Jason Momoa reprising his role as this iconic superhero. In the movie, Arthur Curry aka Aquaman, who is the heir to the underwater world of Atlantis, must lead his kingdom to overcome his brother Orm, who plans to unite the seven kingdoms against the surface world.
- Autobots, roll out! Bumblebee is a prequel to the Transformers series that tells the story of the beloved yellow auto-bot. Hailee Steinfeld stars in the film as Charlie Watson, a teenage girl who finds and befriends Bumblebee. As they take on the world together, they quickly discover that Bumblebee isn’t the only Transformer out there. You can catch this movie in theaters on December 21, 2018.
For the Kids
- Universal Pictures is remaking Dr. Seuss' Christmas classic, The Grinch -- a classic story about a fuzzy green creature set on ruining Christmas for the town of Whoville along with his sidekick pup, Max. The grumpy Grinch is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch and it’s sure to be packed with laughs for the little ones. It’ll be released on November 9, 2018.
- He’s gonna wreck it! Wreck-It-Ralph is back again with his pal Vanellope in Ralph Breaks the Internet. Together they leave Mr. Litwak’s arcade and venture into the Internet to find a replacement part for Vanellope’s game - Sugar Rush. This film is a Disney fan’s dream come true as it combines classic characters from Star Wars, Marvel, The Muppets, and Pixar with our favorite Disney arcade bad guy and feisty roadster princess. Go see it in theaters on November 21, 2018.
- Mary Poppins Returns to help Jane and Michael Banks again, except they’re all grown up now. Michael has a family of his own and after suffering from a personal loss, nanny extraordinaire Mary Poppins comes back to lend a helping hand. Emily Blunt (A Quiet Place, The Young Victoria) plays Mary and is joined by Lin-Manuel Miranda (of Hamilton fame) who plays a street lamplighter named Jack. She’ll be back before you know it on December 21, 2018.
- Our spidey senses are tingling! Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse swings into theaters on December 14, 2018 with a fun take on an iconic superhero. Spider-Man Miles Morales must juggle his high-school life with his status as a superhero while he’s introduced to the "Spider-Verse" where there can be more than just one Spider-Man. The animated film also features fan favorite Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen.
- Inspired by a true story, Felicity Jones stars as Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg in On the Basis of Sex. The film follows young lawyer Ginsburg as she and her husband bring an unprecedented case before the U.S. Court of Appeals and topple over a century of sex based discrimination. The movie releases on December 25, 2018.
- Natalie Portman stars as Celeste, a woman who has survived a violent tragedy alongside her sister Eleanor, in Vox Lux. The sisters create and perform a song about their experience, turning a catastrophic event into something beautiful that launches their singing careers. The film follows their struggles to navigate a career fraught with scandals when another act of terrifying violence demands their attention. The film hits the cinemas on December 7, 2018.
- Second Act is a story of a woman stuck in a low-paying job that defies the odds (and lies a little) to land a position as an accomplished consultant at a private financial firm. Jennifer Lopez plays the main character, Maya, as she jumps through hoops to prove her worth during the second part of her life. Catch it in theaters on December 21, 2018.
Whew, that’s a lot of movies! Whatever you’re craving to watch this holiday season, we’re sure you’ll have plenty of options with all the blockbusters hitting the big screen. So, grab your kids, family, or friends and see one of these new movies soon.
Want to find out about more fun flicks hitting the big screen soon? Subscribe to our blog and you'll never miss a movie! Have fun at the theater!